We decided we needed to stay near Philly for Spring Break because Mike was still working out a summer internship (he'll be at Disney by the way), so a day trip to NYC seemed to be the perfect solution for a quick getaway. The main focus of our NYC trip was Ellis Island. I thought it would be fascinating to see the place where so many Americans began their journey. It was just that, purely fascinating.
When you walk in you see a display of baggage piled up really high. All types of baggage from all over the world. For some reason when I saw all that luggage piled high I could just imagine the relief and excitement of everyone as they went through Ellis Island to have finally arrived in America, finally be off that boat! They all needed a new start, why else leave their motherland? Emma Lazarus pens it perfectly when writing about the Statue of Liberty which stands so close to Ellis Island:
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore; send these, the homeless, the tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
I love America!!!
This is the assembly room where people would wait to get there names called before heading into NY. It used to be full of bleachers, but is now empty. Beautiful ceilings, eh?
A view of NYC minus the dearly missed twin towers.
The beautiful Statue of Liberty! I was pretty excited to see her, and I think it rubbed off on Ava. Whenever she climbs up on something high, she now says, "Look mom! I'm the Statue of Liberty!"
This Sculpture stood below the twin towers. It was a symbol of world peace and shared and growing economies. It had been destroyed by debris from 9-11. Pretty sad.
Ava and Ezra's favorite part of the day was chasing birds, climbing trees, and riding on the ferry. Ezra requested his picture on the ferry. I thought it was pretty funny.
1 comment:
I LOVE NYC TOO!!!
THANKS for the comments on Ellis Island. When Dad and I went to NYC, Ellis Island was my favorite day....PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was my favorite NIGHT!!!!
LOVE THE PICTURE OF EZ!!!
Love,
MOM
Post a Comment