Ava has always been a toughie to get to sleep. Every night we explain to her why it's bedtime, why the sun is not in the sky, why bodies need sleep, why you have to close your eyes and lay still in order to let the mysterious falling asleep phenomenon occur...it takes quite a while.
Mike and my system currently includes us laying with her to talk her through the falling asleep process-IF and only IF she is obedient and cooperates with our "lay down, close your eyes, no talking, no toys..." stipulations.
Two nights ago she would not stop talking, so I had to leave. Mike wasn't home when I put her down, and when he got home, she was still in her room crying. He marched up the stairs, prepared to put his foot down.
"Ava," he said sternly when he entered the room.
"Daddy!" she replied, "Sometimes little girls need their mommies!"
Melt my heart! Melt it right through my bedtime frustration resentments. It got me thinking about how wonderful being a parent is, and I wanted to ask-
WHAT DO YOU LIKE MOST ABOUT BEING A PARENT???
I'd love to hear. Please comment.
Personally, there are so many things I love about being a mom. Witnessing my child's pure and innocent joy for something simple like the new-found ability to jump. Ezra squeezing all the giggles out of Ava in a tight bear hug. Watching Ava's empathy develop as she tries to be an emotional problem solver for those she can see have a need. She's three. What a gift. Being the one they want when their hurt. Cuddles before bedtime. Wiping the sleep out of their eyes in the morning. Their excitement bursting through their running legs and outstretched arms and bursting smiles when seeing you after a seperation. Watching their world and vocabulary expand as they come to understand more about the world. Ava's love for Jesus...
7 comments:
Nothing gets rid of stress faster than walking in the door and seeing my little girl smile that I'm home. :)
I love how being a mom means shelving selfishness and learning more about consecration. It would be silly to expect my 3-month-old to "pull his weight." He does what he can (eats, sleeps) and I make up the rest. I don't fuss about how he left out his play mat or didn't make his bed. It's a good reminder about how my other relationships should be.
I especially love how children bring out the "nice" in people, especially strangers who are otherwise inclined to ignore or possibly scowl in your direction. Being a mom helps me remember that the human race does indeed have a few redeeming qualities :)
Thanks for your reminders. Sometimes it's hard to forget the frustrating parts about being a parent and focus on the good parts! You've helped me remember to look for the beautiful things about parenting.
Today, my favorite is that feeling of sitting on the couch with one child in each arm. I love that feeling of spreading out my arms and immediately being filled up with the love of LOTS of kids (2 is lots of kids right now).
I love that Russ Russ started reaching for me this week. It is so cute when he puts those little arms up for me.
I also love that sense of humor is one of the first things to develop. I get a crack out of the things Russ finds hilarious.
That is so cute! Just when you think you can't take anymore of them... they go and surprise you with sweetness. :) That's what I love.
This is a GREAT post. What a sweet lady, that Ava.
I love seeing the childs personailty and individuality develop. I find it amazing that from two people you can get this splendid new soul on this earth that will make his/her own mark on the world. Really mind boggling. And how can I forget, I love those little quite moments of sweetness that comes at unexpected yet perfect moments.
watching my babies sleep. Isn't it amazing how beautiful they are???
Post a Comment