Sweet A's birthday happens to be the day we need to make our road trip back home. She put it all together by asking how many days until her birthday and how many days until the big move. I was nervous about her throwing a fit because long car rides are not her favorite thing. Instead she said, "I have a great idea. Let's have my birthday party in the car. We can decorate it with balloons and play games and eat cupcakes...."
Sweetest girl ever. She is genuinely excited. In an attempt to make it the best birthday-party-in-the-car ever I am in need of some game ideas. So far we have 20 questions (a new favorite developed on the commute to Mike's work and back), the ABC game (kinda hard for kids this age but we try anyway), and the rainbow color game (like the ABC game but with colors of the rainbow). Any other ideas for us? I'm hoping to find car paint to decorate the window saying "honk, Ava's 5 today." I wonder how many honks we'll get going through NYC.
5 comments:
We play "What's your favorite..." where everyone takes turns asking everyone in the car about their favorite things. So I'll ask "What's your favorite game to play?" to everyone in the car, then it's someone else's turn to ask a new question.
We play 20 questions, but to make it a little easier, we qualify our questions: "I'm thinking of a person in our family" or "I'm thinking of a kind of dinosaur".
We play the "On & on" game (named by Sydney) where one person starts with any one word: e.g. "sun" - then the next person says the first word that comes into their mind when they think of "sun", like "yellow" - then it's the next person's turn, and on and on.
We play the "food/stoplight" game, where someone says a kind of food or beverage, and then the first person to say "green" if it's really healthy, "yellow" if it's ok to eat sometimes, and "red" if it's something you should only eat sparingly. Whoever answers correctly first gets to think of the next food.
I'll try to keep thinking of games we play in the car & if I think of anything else worth mentioning I'll add it! Good luck with your move/roadtrip!
that is really cute. Sorry I don't have any car games, but I love your pictures below. Can't believe she's 5!
Lots of stores have those driving bingo cards. Each square has a truck, convertible, etc and a dry erase marker to go with it. I got mine at JoAnns for $1. Don't know if they still have them but I'm sure Wal-Mart or someplace has them for cheap. Maybe grab a new CD, like High School Musical or something really fun and catchy...if she even likes singing.
Love the "honk, Ava's 5 today" idea!
When we drive through the midwest we play "my barn". Who ever sees it first gets to count it as theirs. When you see a cemetary you can call "my cemetary" and wipe out everyone else's barns. It sounds so dumb typing it out- but it's fun :)
Ava is such a good little girl! I love her attitude.
The Babbel family road trip favorite was "Family Feud." I was always the game show host, and I would ask questions like, "What is the most popular ice cream flavor for the summer?" or "Name the most-requested primary songs" or something. Then the family would have to guess what was on my list! They were all stumped once when the category was "coolest car" and my #1 answer was a Winnebago!
Post a Comment