Monday, August 02, 2010

Four Going on Eighteen... A Talk About Love

Ava was wishing that we were back in Joy School because we had snacks that a friend usually had in his lunch. "We could have matching lunches," she said. "I like Boy X."

"You do, what do you like about him?" I asked.

"He likes me...a lot."

"Oh? How do you know?"

Smile...smile..."Well.....he told me he wanted to marry me."

"He did?!" I couldn't help but start laughing. I also couldn't believe we've been out of Joy School for two whole months and she hadn't said a word about this until today. She has boy secrets already?

"Yeah." Silence. "I didn't tell him this, but I thought," [imagine with a little Ava attitude] " 'that's not going to happen.' "

Mom's dying of laughter even though she's trying hard to hold it in.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Well, we'd have to fall in love."

"Do you know what it feels like to fall in love."

"No."

"You're right. Not yet, you don't."

I cannot believe I just had that conversation with my four year old daughter.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

What a cutie! We really missed you guys at the beach!

You had Dad in stitches over this post too.

Jenn said...

I can't believe the love drama of these little 4-year olds! So funny! All I know is, probably all the little Joy School boys love Ava. I know Henry misses her terribly! It's so hard to find the perfect playmate for him. He usually opts to not play with friends at all rather than play with some of the rowdy boys :) Ava and Ezra are his definite favorites. CAN'T WAIT to be reunited soon!

Jessica and Danny said...

So cute! And can you imagine once she starts having these types of conversations for REAL someday???